Monday, June 25, 2012

Mom challenges school sunscreen ban after daughters are severely burned

Mom challenges school sunscreen ban after daughters are severely burned

"After a school sunscreen ban left two Tacoma, Washington elementary students severely burned, their mother is taking on the school district.
Jesse Michener's daughters Violet, 11, and Zoe, 9, set out from their home last Tuesday for an all-day school event. The morning had been a rainy one but by noon the rain gave way to sun, and the girls began to burn. Violet and Zoe were not allowed to apply sunscreen due to a school policy against it, even though Zoe suffers from a form of albinism, a genetic condition that makes her particularly sun-sensitive.
“I was feeling all hot," Zoe Michener told TODAY. "I noticed that my shoulders were really more warmer than other parts of my body.” Her sister Violet also began to feel the heat: “I was playing games with my friends and that's when I basically started feeling like I was burning up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment